Tuesday, October 2, 2012

OUR NEW DOG


This is our new dog.  His name is Baxter.


He is a Cockapoo/Bichon Frise mix.  In other words, a white, fluffy mutt.  We rescued him over Labor Day weekend, and so far, he is fitting in very well.  He is only a year or two old, and has a lot of puppy playfulness, so he has brought a lot of joy to this house.

We needed some joy in this house, because this summer we lost our previous and thoroughly beloved dog Oliver to cancer.  Oliver was a Westie/poodle mix.  In other words, a white, fluffy mutt.  He was only seven, and we were heartbroken.  This is a picture of Oliver in his healthy days.





Yes, we realize the two dogs look somewhat alike and that we might need therapy.

Actually, Baxter is our therapy.  We still miss Oliver, but it helps to love another dog.  We are having a lot of fun with Baxter.  Recently, I had some workmen in the house, and Baxter was just howling at the nail gun going off, so I strapped him in his car harness and we went to the park.  Then I remembered I hadn't had lunch, and was starving, so we went to McDonalds.




We went through the drive-thru and I ordered an extra hamburger for Baxter.   I took the bun and pickle off of it, and let him eat the burger in the backseat. 


It occurred to me that I had just taken my dog to lunch and the park, and we were really enjoying ourselves.  I chatted with him, and rolled down the window for him, and kept looking back to check on him. 

I probably should have had more children.


1 comment:

  1. I’m really sorry for Oliver’s fate. I’m sure that he is happy for having spent his life with you. Baxter’s really cute! Isn’t he just the most adorable dog ever?! How long after Oliver passed away did you adopt Baxter? I’m glad that you’re treating Baxter just like family. There’s really no need for you to have more children, unless you really want to. Who knows? Maybe loving Baxter is a precursor for you to being a better mother and person. I don’t know how they do it, but dogs really do have a way of touching our lives that brings out the best in us as human beings.

    Liza Bedoya

    ReplyDelete